Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice re: External Drive for video

edited August 2014 in MixEmergency
Hi Nick and all

Just wanted some advice really regarding stabilty.

I have always used the main hd in my mac to store videos but I have changed my mac and don't really have the room on the internal drive for all the vids.

The question I have is what is the best way of running ME.

I have a USB 3.0 drive that has about 110mps read/write time. It seems to load vids faster than my old Mac, but is this a stable way or working. I say this as I have heard some people in the past have had terrible crashes with external drives.

Do you think this will be okay or is it going to be better using an SSD under USB 3.0 or would I have to get a SSD connected via thunderbolt?

Just wanted to pick your brains??

Regards

Keith

Comments

• It should be fine. I would recommend keeping a backup handy though (and check that it doesn't get too warm).

As for stability - someone with more time in the field would be better to comment on that.
  • I have been running videos from a Rugged LaCie Thunderbolt External HD for a few weeks now.

5 hour gigs, 3 nights a week. No problems.

Like Nick said... keep it cool.
  • Thanks guys for the replies!! :)

Just one thing djrussel, is your rugged lacie a ssd?

• I use G-Drives. One is firewire 800, the other is thunderbolt. neither are solid state, but drives on my laptops are SSD
  • My LaCie is 2TB and is not a ssd.

I also have run my setup with a G-Drive 2TB non ssd, USB 3. With no problems.
  • I run a 4tb that has 2tb (Standard HHD) on it for the past 2 years and no issues. Also using USB 3 to macbook pro
  • I've used a Western Digital for 3 years (USB) and now a G-Drive with Firewire 800 for the past 2 years and (knocking on wood) NEVER a crash!!!!
    ME is VERY stable!!!!
  • Hey

Thanks again for the replies!!

I have been testing with my USB 3 HD and seems to be fine!!

Only thing is that the beast that is Sample Player in 2.7 means I don't have a free port for a midi controller! :(

Might just have to bite the bullet and go for a thunderbolt HD ££$££$£

:)

Keith
  • cheekyk:
    I've been running external HDs for video for years now.
    My newest include:
    2 G-Drives (4TB) w firewire & USB 3.0

I use a USB 3.0 AND 2.0 Hub
    Both Drives are plugged into the 3.0 ports AND my Dicers are plugged into the USB 2.0 port w no problems.

My USB hub is a Fry's small brand hub. I bought a Geffen hub 1st but had lots of problems because it was 3.0 only... once I got a dual (2.0 & 3.0) everything was great.

Hope that helps!
  • Hi ruffnek

I tried various usb 3.0 hubs when i first got the new mac. They were terrible, just kept dropping connection all the time.

I guess they have sorted this out now so will give it another bash!!

Cheers!!! :)

Keith