Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drop Outs With Serato

edited January 2015 in MixEmergency
Ok so here is the problem, after about 30mins worth of playing in my set I started to get big dropouts in Serato DJ every time I used an effect linked with Mix Emergency. Ill explain my set up first to give a better picture.

Im running Serato DJ and Mix Emergency together. I have a USB hub with Dicers and also a DJM 800 midi mapped to ME and Serato DJ (faders mapped to ME, fx mapped to Serato)

At first it was working ok, but after a short while the load of using these all at once seemed to be too much, there would be 2 effects happening on an ME video and an audio effect in Serato DJ, this was causing the drop outs, but there seems like there must be another problem because this load shouldn't be too much to handle?

Even without using the effects my waveforms have been a little laggy at times (in both Serato DJ and normal SL running with ME, same set up but minus the major lag, only minor)

I tested it again today at home and had the same problem, I tried switch back to Scratch Live, and while I didn't have the drop out as I did in Serato DJ, the music wave forms in SL were extremely laggy when I double up on effects

My mac specs are
15in late 2011, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770m 1024mb graphics, 2.4gh Intel i7, running 10.9.5
ME and Serato DJ both latest version

I have no problems running them together usually, but its only recently I have tried to add in more effects and have been running into trouble, is this a common problem, or is my mac not powerful enough to run this or is it time to clean install my mac? Thanks

Comments

• It's hard to say with the data that I have here.

Are you playing HD videos?
    What are the dimensions of your output screen?
    What effects are you using?
    Is there still a difference between using no effects and using the Invert effects (one of the most simple effects when the blend mode set to Normal)? Not all effects are equal. All of the Blur effects can put a significant strain on your computer (including the Border Fill Blur filter).
  • i know the answer to this !!! i had the same issue... so the reason is because of a kext file in the os telling the laptop what to do when, but not releasing it.. its an easy fix. you just delete the kext file and then it does everything automatically as it needs, rather than how its told.

read this

http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259

in the comments there is this comment

An easier way.
    First of all I want to thank you for figuring this out, i don’t know how you do it, BUT not all of us are computer geeks (I use that term in the best sense) and it cost me half a day trying to figure this out. Here is the solution for the rest of us who don’t want to program. What I finally did was this:
    1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info
    2. Click on system report
    3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier
    4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.
    3. Restart and you’re done

this is how i did it.

• Thanks for that phil!
    I will try it and see how it works!

and Nick

I will do some further testing (along with testing different effects and make note of which ones I am using)

I mostly use HD videos, the cross fader is set to luma key, the effects were strobe on one channel, twirl and Kaleidoscope paired together set to the master fx, outputs set to 16:9
  • now worries. this is something i have had to repeat on the last couple of OS X updates, inc yosimite. i've done it on a few peoples laptops and its always worked
  • did that solve it ?