Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DXV Codec (from Resolume)

edited February 2015 in MixEmergency
Hi Guys,
I did get the ME license quite some time ago, but never really got started using it for gigs. Instead I went to Resolume, as I also do a fair bit of "visuals only" work too.

I keep my visuals mostly in 1920x1080, 60fps and run them from an external thunderbolt 256 SSD in Resolume (up to 3 layers), while spinning with SDJ. This runs fairly smooth on my retina 15", however normally the main comp/output would be scaled down to something like 720p.

Nick, would there be any possibility of adding support for the DXV codec?
I didn't see any others request this, so I'm guessing the chances are slim, right?

The codec is free for users here: http://resolume.com/download/
Not sure if licensing would be needed for you to implement it though.

Thanks, Warp

Comments

• edited February 2015
    The problem with the DXV codec is that it is free to download and use the QuickTime components, but as far as I'm aware, these do all of their processing on the CPU.

There is no open code (that I know of) to allow the decoding of DXV files via the GPU. Because of this, it is only Resolume that can gain any benefit from DXV encoded videos.

MixEmergency has a similar codec, Hap. It's an open codec, so it can be implemented in any software, and it also has free QuickTime components (so that you can encode and decode Hap movies via the CPU in applications that don't support the GPU acceleration). I've read that Hap is slightly better than DXV, in terms of performance, and it also has options to output higher quality files (the Hap Q encoding).