Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crossfader/Fader Options like in Serato Video & something more

edited February 2016 in MixEmergency
Hello,

i played arround with ME right now quite some time... i want to use it instead of Serato Video... but i'm a bit unhappy about the Linefader/Crossfader Setting - ok maybe i'm doing something wrong...

In Serato Video i have the Option "Upfaders Only" so it doesn't matter where the crossfader position is... ok i can unmap the crossfader in ME too, but the position ist still recognized by the programm - i hope you understand what i mean.

For scratich i want to quickly avtivate the crossfader again - just like in Serato Video selecting scratch fade...

I realised that the Fan is going quite loud after using ME a while (15-20 mins) - i have a 13 inch MacBook Retina 2015. I7, 16 gb Ram, 1 TB Flash.. what are the best Performance Options i should use?

And the last question ist it possible so ad some transition effects like (cube, grid etc) to the upfaders only if the crossfader is not active?

Okay lots of questions here.. but i'm quite new to ME.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Comments

• MixEmergency has a mode specifically for mixing with the upfaders, and you can use this for any transition. All you need to do is to make sure that your crossfader is in the center, and that the "Link Upfader" button is enabled. It is labelled #9 in the Transition View shown in the manual here: http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/manual/controlwindow/

You can switch between these modes by MIDI mapping the Link Upfader and Link Crossfader buttons. You could also map this same MIDI control to load a Preset of whatever Transition you wish to use for scratching.

So, yes - it is possible to use any transition with only the upfaders (cube, grid, etc).

As for your fan - it's possible that you have MixEmergency outputting higher quality video than Serato Video. Which version of MixEmergency are you using? Do you have GPU Accelerated Video Decoding enabled (you'll need to reload videos after changing this)? You can read more about optimising MixEmergency here: http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/tips/mixemergency-3-optimisation
  • Hi,

thanks for your tipps... The Fader linking works perfect :-) I use ME 3.0.2

As for the Fan Speed - GPU Acceleration is activated. i have the Intel IRIS 6100 with 1536 MB Vram... Buffer Size ist set to 400. Output Quality about 60% - in Serato Video on Middle.

I realized that the Fan only goes up very loud if i use ME with my DDJ SZ.. using ist with the SL3 Box everything works real fine...strange.

What are the best performance settings i should use - Macbook Retina 2015, I7, 16 GB Ram.?

Thanks
    Martin
  • That is strange. What version of Serato DJ are you using?

As for "best" settings, this is really hard to say, and depends on a lot of factors. In theory, I would set the Output Quality to 100%, and then just adjust the dimensions of your output using the Mac OS X Display Preferences. Other than this, MixEmergency should be set up to perform well by default. You could reduce the Cache size a little, if you wanted (I think 200-300MB should be more than enough), but it's not really necessary.
  • The Output is HD... I'm using it on Big screens... May this be the Problem?

I've tried different Serato DJ Version. I regularly use Serato DJ 1.8.0 - but i've tried it with 1.7.8 and 1.7.5, too. The 1.8.1 does not work very well for me.... I'll Play a little bit arround and see what will fit best.

Thanks
  • Okay a few tries later... Reducing the Output resolution on the Mac lowers the Fan... But it is still real high if i compare it with Serato Video... And the MacBook is really getting very warm on the backside. In Serato Video the Fan is much slower but the CPU usage much higher...causes USB Dropouts. Thats why i wanted to switch to ME. Here i have no Droputs, but the MacBook has this high Fan and ist getting much "hotter"....
  • I would recommend staying on Serato DJ 1.7.8 for now. There are some issues regarding the graphics in Serato DJ 1.8 which Serato are aware of and will hopefully fix in the near future.

It's normal for your computer to get somewhat hot while Video DJing - as the computer is doing a lot of work, especially if you are playing HD video and feeding this to an HD output. Are you able to change the output dimensions in the Display section of the Mac OS X Preferences?
  • I've posted a pic here, output resolution on external Screen set to 480p only.. CPU is real slow.. but the FAN is getting real high. With Serato Video this does not happen...

http://postimg.org/image/u17tazljt/

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Martin
  • Also, are you getting your videos from a video pool that has good encoding practices? (i.e. Promo Only, Xtendamix, VJ-Pro, or SmashVision)
  • Everything looks fine in that screenshot. I suspect your computer isn't getting as hot when using Serato Video as it is using the CPU and ouputting at a lower quality/frame rate. Medium Quality in Serato Video is still a little lower than how you have it set up here.
  • If you want, you could try turning of GPU Accelerated Video Decoding in MixEmergency's Preferences (and then reload your videos), and see how it handles decoding via the CPU. It should make your computer even warmer though...
  • Okay.. i will reduce the quality some more and see what happens... i tested now mainly with 1.8.0 - i will do the same test with 1.7.8 - we'll see what happens..
    Yes my Videos are 90% from Xtendamix, VJ-Pro & Co...
  • With GPU Acceleration turned off.. the CPU increases much more... i think this is not an option :-(
  • Try reducing your Cache size, in MixEmergency's Advanced Preferences, to 200 MB as well.
  • okay.. i'll do so...
  • 1.7.8 is way worse than 1.8.0 for me... :-( hmmm... i have no idea anymore... i've set the output to 640x480 all setting to poorest quality in different ways.. the MacBook keeps going very hot.. fan is running.. in Serato i set to poorest Video and the Macbook is perfectly silent... I think there are some probs with this Macbook.. I've read different topics about the 2015 Rentina having different graphic issues in various applications... hmm.. El Capitan should work here... but El Capitan is not working that good with Serato (tested it).. Man i get crazy.. hahaha :-(
  • Just to be clear - you have no problems at all if you're using the Rane SL 3 when using Serato DJ and MixEmergency, is that correct?
  • This was a quick shot.. with the SL3 ist only takes about 15 min longer.. i check this last night again...
  • Are you playing the videos from the internal drive, or from an external hard drive?
  • Hi, playing from internal drive. 1TB Flash.. I did lots of research now.. also resettet the PRAM, SMC Controller, switched off Transparency etc.. just some stuff i found...

Nothing helps.. The FAN goes up real high, the Macbook is getting extremely hot..

But in SeratoVideo the Macbook is real Silent. Event if i set the quality to "best" in Serato Video... but Serato has this fuc*** USB Droputs :-(

I think Mixemergency is a real powerfull Programm.. i like it.. but the high Fan Use / getting hot is really bad..
  • It may be that Serato Video isn't heating up the computer as much because it's not performing as well (I would check to see if it's outputting video at 60 FPS - often I've seen this at 15-20 FPS).

Perhaps you could try the app smcFanControl, and see what the temperatures and fans are doing in a little more detail.

Other things to maybe check/try:

1) That the fans are clear (they aren't blocked with dust)
    2) That the base of the computer is clear, so that air can flow around it
    3) In the worst case, sometimes it can be worth investing in a laptop cooler (though, usually I only recommend this type of thing if you're playing in very hot environments)