Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fixing videos with frame issues

edited March 2016 in MixEmergency
I'm slowly learning how codec's work and want to make sure I'm doing this right here. I get all my .mp4 files from reputable record pools but still find the videos having trouble with ME. This is what I have been doing to correct the issue:

(1) I went through all my show crates in Serato with ME open and had mixemergency.log (I found it easier to use than the Messages window) open to see exactly which video files had frames larger than 30 FPS.

(2) I copied their locations to an Excel sheet so I could know exactly where to access the files later on. I also added them to a crate in Serato to test after I replace the original files.

(3) I went to each files location (on my external HDD) and copied them to one folder on my desktop using "Go to Folder..."

(4) Figured out each files FPS with the program MediaInfo and noted them in my Excel sheet. I then was able to group the files with the same FPS together and batch them as a group at the same time.

(5) Using AVF Batch Exporter (I found it a lot simpler than HandBrake) I recompressed only the FPS on the files to what they were originally noted in my Excel sheet. I left the Audio, data rate and video size alone. Multi-Pass Encoding was also checked.

(6) Dragged them back in to my external HDD to their original location to replace the original file. I was able to use Excel to show me which files were together in same location to make it easier to drag them back in the original folder. I kept the original copied files from my desktop in a folder with the date and the Excel sheet together. I'll probably end up putting them on my desktop computer for backup.

(7) I went back to my crate in Serato with ME open and checked each newly converted file with no problems.

(8) I'm currently testing the program Kid3 to copy and paste the original ID3 tag's to the newly converted files. I just haven't been able to figure out how to keep my cue points and loops from Serato (not sure if you can).

On Step 4 all the FPS from the files were all under 30 FPS so I don't know if ME multiplies the Ref frames together (this is the part I don't understand). This did correct the issue and seems like a lot of work but well worth it. I didn't loose any quality that I could tell testing on my TV. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions to this process.