Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i still can't figure out how to record my video mixes with scratch live

edited September 2015 in MixEmergency
can anyone here have a clue how to record video mixes with scratch live and ME
on the recording settings ME don't recognize scratch live and when i was able to do it there was no sound i will very much appreciate it if i could get help with this problem thanks fam

Comments

• What mixer or soundcard are you using?
    What system/OS?
    And, for good measure, which version of ME / SSL?
  • Djm 800 with SL2
  • As you've discovered, so long as Mix Emergency sees Scratch Live in the control window and is working with it, you don't need to set any recording options for video, which is why you don't see any options available. So that just leaves audio.

In the recording options, set them as follows:
    Device: SL2
    Format: Apple Lossless
    Channels: The last two channels in the list, whatever they happen to be.
    For example, my sixty-eight has 12 channels, so I set my left channel to 11 and my right channel to 12. With my SL3, I set the left channel to 5 and the right to 6. I don't have an SL2, but my guess is that you'll have four channels to choose from; if so, set your left to 3 and the right to 4.

Once that's all done, you'll obviously want to make sure you're receiving a signal and that you're happy with the level, but other than that, you should be good to go.
  • thanks @marv_incredible i have done everything you have put up here but ME is not recognising my SL2 when i connect the usb to the laptop ME only recognise it for 5seconds and it goes to unknown .
    i have done everything except ME recognising SL2
  • Well that sucks. Sorry man, I don't know what might cause that. Hopefully Nick or someone will be along soon to advise. I'll post back if I come up with anything though.

Btw, you didn't say in the end. Which Mac OS are you running and which version of Scratch Live?
  • thanks so much for your time Marv_Incredible i switched to serato dj its now recognising my box but the sound is still not coming i only get the serato default sound coming i think I'm gradually getting there
    macbook pro 15"
    2.66 GHz Intel core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory
  • The Serato default sound? Do you mean the control tone?
  • Hey man, no need to be formal here. Marv will do! :-)

Forgive me, but I have to ask the obvious; is your set up working properly without ME? Can you control the software decks with your hardware decks and hear music?

I ask because this sounds like a setup issue. One way to narrow it down is to switch Serato to INT mode and bypass DVS/Control Signal altogether. You should still be able to see/hear/play videos through ME.
  • you need another audio interface to record into…
    if you set the audio devices to sl 2 in M.E …you will record from the turntable ( the control tone you are recording ) to the audio input on the SL 2 box…
    You need to recording the output from your mixer….
    if you use one turntable you can get around it …but if you use two turntables ..
    you are going to need another audio interface to record into

• Aha. Thanks to wazza, the penny's just dropped for me.

The SL2 only has four (2 x stereo) channels which are all being used as inputs and there are no more channels available for outputs - makes sense. I guess I'm spoiled because most of my devices have multiple channels but I just tried plugging in a Mixtrack Pro and sure enough, ME doesn't recognise it as a sound source.

I don't think he needs another audio interface though. Surely he can just take a Line Out from his mixer ino the Line-In (Built-in) Input of his Macbook and then select that as his Input source in ME? I could be wrong, but I dont see why that wouldn't work.
  • Tks guys for your time I'm good with playing videos etc with ME/Serato my only problem is recording my video mixes,I was able to do my first mixes on my wife's MacBook(which have both mic and headphone slots) but it kept freezing because the memory was small but mine only have only headphone slot is there a way to sort it plsssssss
  • We're getting there. Wazza must be psychic 'cause he's right, you're going to need another external soundcard by the sound of it. USB or Firewire. Sounds like you've got one of the newer MBPs where they dropped the Line In port. That sucks.

You can pick them up cheaply enough though. Something like one of these is less than $30.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-u-control-uca222-usb-audio-interface

I've got another idea though. Let me do some testing and if it works, I'll come back and tell you so you can try it.
  • Thanks for helping with advice guys. It's annoying that Apple discontinued the input port on the MacBooks - I guess it just wasn't being used enough. The best solutions for this are either 1) recording through another audio device, or 2) recording the audio internally in Scratch Live and then lining it up with the video after the export from MixEmergency.
  • Here's the problem you have ...( you just can't get a audio interface )...because the Mac book pros only have two USB ports ..one for your sl2 box and one for your USB midi interface ( going from the midi output on your djm 800 ) so you can midi map the crossfader in me
    You need to drop the USB to midi interface you are using and use a USB audio interface ( that will run audio and midi ) with the old 6 pin midi inputs and outputs

The UCA 222 will not work as you don't have enough USB ports on you Mac
  • A audio/midi interface like this https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_serie/modelle/ur22.html
    its got two line inputs on the front ..( you plug the RCA record outputs or booth outputs from your DJM 800 mixer to the front by RCA to JACK cables ) And its got midi inputs and outputs
    ( you plug a 6 pin midi cable from the midi output on the DJM 800 to the midi input so you can map the crossfader )……over one usb cable

some other things to remember when you run ( recording ) two audio interfaces at the same time on a MAC ( SL 2 box and another audio interface ) is, you need to set up a Aggregate Device in the MAC audio settings…..and…you will need to set the video Delay Compensation in M.E back a little …because the video in M.E that has been recorded is recorded fast (straight into M.E ) ,BUT.. the audio is doing a fill 360 round trip through your DJ setup before it go's back into M.E for recording …
    record 3 or 4 short little mix's and set the delay compensation back as you go…until you get the video and audio to record in sync
  • No worries Nick. And great advice from Wazza again I see.

As for my experiment, there was good and bad news. I tried something using a combination of an Aggregate Device hack (to hijack Serato's audio output) and SoundFlower (to re-route Serato's Output to ME's Input).

It works, but only with controllers because the signal is mixed within the software. With an SL2 (or similar device) you only get the left channel, so it's just not going to be of any use to Billy, but it will help those who have a controller and no Audio Input on their Mac. If I get time, I may record a quick tutorial, but it's all pretty self-explanatory.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202304774-How-to-use-your-Serato-hardware-playing-through-your-Mac-s-internal-speakers-using-Aggregate-Device-

https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

As for you Billy, Good Luck... And don't give up! :)
  • edited October 2015
    Tks guys it's sorted I had to go into the audio settings on the MacBook to switch input to internal microphone i also got a USB sound card to try and it also worked perfectly
  • That's good to hear. Happy mixing!