Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Migrating to a new laptop

edited December 2017 in MixEmergency
I'm thinking of buying a new MacBook pro. Is there a way to move ME settings, sequencer settings etc over in one swoop?

Comments

• You can copy across the MixEmergency folder, which is within your Movies folder. This has all of your Presets, and a lot of MixEmergency's settings.

For all of your Preferences, it gets a little more complicated...

You will need to open the Terminal application, then save the preferences, copy them to your new computer, and then load them onto that new computer (also via the Terminal application).

To save them to a file on the Desktop:

defaults export com.inklen.MixEmergency ~/Desktop/MixEmergencyPreferences.plist

To load them from the same file:

defaults import com.inklen.MixEmergency ~/Desktop/MixEmergencyPreferences.plist

Also, don't forget to deauthorise MixEmergency on your old computer, if you're not planning to use it anymore, as this will free up your authorisation for a new computer.
  • Thanks. I will try it when I get the new laptop. Same applies if I was doing a clean OS install too yeah?

Merry Christmas
  • Yep, same applies there.
  • That worked a charm. All my settings and preferences were moved to New laptop

This brings me to another question

Is there a way to migrate content say from internal HD to external HD (or even to a different folder) easily and not have to do everything ground up again.

Something like a relocate files option? At least if the name of the files are unchanged.

• No, there's no easy way to do this, unfortunately.
  • No easy way does not mean its impossible
  • I just mean that almost all of the files used by MixEmergency (in the folder ~/Movies/MixEmergency/), that point to content, are XML files - so these can be edited, but it would be a real pain to do.