Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWESOME job on M.E. 2.0 (!!)

edited March 2012 in MixEmergency
I've just spent the last hour or so playing around on this....pretty amazing update here.

The new "grid" feature is working really well, probably going to tempt a lot more use (overuse?) of effects but it can also do a great job with rhythmically punching up some "boring" videos in a tasteful way.

Really just wanted to say thanks here...you've outdone yourself (and everyone else) yet again.

Comments

• edited 9:00AM
    Thanks Mark :)
    Playing with the live camera input... Drahtwerk's "iWebcamera" works for sending in a camera feed from an iPhone over wifi. That sure opens up a lot of cool possibilities.

Unfortunately I'm getting some ME crashes when enabling/un-enabling the feed....hopefully something that can get sorted out in a 2.0.1 release...seems like I can work around that for now by leaving the video input enabled, just using the mix knob to shut it off or turn it on.

Also have had one non-repeatable crash dragging one of the included quartz compositions onto the quartz composition area.

Guess I should be posting that over in "support"...

Anyway seriously cool stuff here, thank you again. :-)
  • edited March 2012
    Oh, ok - can you e-mail me the crash logs and I'll look into it (to: contact [at] inklen [dot] com)?
    Is there away to record the PIP? I like the added feature, but is it recordable?
    Oh by the way the whole problem I had with the macbook pro and Mix Emergency was a bad fan...$61.00 later it works perfect! Thanks for your help anyway nick! - DJ DJ
    Yep just sent those out now, hope they help.
    Thanks - hopefully I'll have some time to check them out thoroughly later today.

@djdj - no, there's no way to record the video overlay at this stage (it would add a significant strain on your laptop while recording). If you really want to record it, then it is possible to record the session outside of MixEmergency, using MixEmergency's Syphon output, and the Syphon Recorder application.
    "Thanks - hopefully I'll have some time to check them out thoroughly later today."

But, but.... I need to use it tonight :-)

Just kidding around with you of course. I don't usually use new software playing out until I've tested it out quite a bit, but I'm starting a new party tonight and am seriously seriously tempted with this....
    Hey Nick that update where is it ?? And how much ? it loooks so dope ...I got everyone in Dallas following me!!!
    http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/ - it's free for all MixEmergency 1 license holders (i.e. you can just use your current MixEmergency license).
    Wow I was prepared to spend another $199...Thanks Nick ..That's great news!! i am using this tonight and rest of the week .....simply Brilliant!!
    F*cking wow

I can't wait to get home and try this..... New features looks incredible!!

Thanks Nick!
    from your interview on DJ Tech Tools

"I’ve also been excited to see how the Automatic Border Fill feature would be received by users.  I think it’s one of those features that doesn’t sound too exciting, but will really be a time-saver for working Video DJs."

I, for one, highly highly appreciate this feature
    Thanks - that's good to hear.
    Damn, ish just got alot more fun... +1 and thanks Nick...
    I wound up using 2.0 (for six hours) DJ-ing Tuesday night. No crashes or any other issue while playing, but had to force-quit out of an ME-induced beachball when I was trying to shut down.

Made a lot of use of the live camera feed. The combination of the iPhone app I mentioned before and the camera feed was a huge hit. My previously-mentioned workaround for turning on/shutting off the feed seemed to work out fine.

The new beat-gridding and layering option for effects make a huge difference.
    Cool.

Can you let me know if you get the hang at shut-down again? Or if you find out anything further about it.
    Yes. This release is ama-za-zing to say the least. GREAT WORK Nick!!
    Thanks.
    I had play with ME for 5 hours last night and try everything...and its awsome!!!!

Only I found one problem, when is Quartz Composition Enabled and im change .qtz file sometime ME crush, not everytime but sometime. Its not a big problem, I disable QC then change ;)

Nice job Nick...this version is mindblow ;)
    That's odd. Could you please e-mail me your crash report?
    Hi Nick...

Yes I'll try to get you some more info on the "beachball when trying to quit" thing. My sense is that it's related to uptime, since I didn't see that happening earlier at home when testing (running ME for much shorter durations). I assume (if that happens again) it would help to check stuff like CPU and memory usage in Activity Monitor? Let me know if anything else would be helpful...
    beat gridding! fark! i gotta get ableton and re-analyze files.....crap.
    skinnyguy...I don't think you do. I don't have my files analyzed with grids, just the normal way...and the grid-effect thing seems to be working just fine.
    I'll post more info about the beat-sync soon (hopefully - there's a lot going on right now). If you want "perfect" beat-synced videos, then you'll want to use the Beatgrid feature of Scratch Live (or Itch) to analyse your videos, and save the Beatgrid to your video file. If that isn't found, then MixEmergency can fall back to using the BPM of the video, synced from the first cue-point that you have saved.
    @Mark - Right now I suspect that the problems when quitting may be related to the Video Input issue that you were also having. I still haven't had a chance to thoroughly look into that yet - but I'll try to find out more soon.
    currently there are two ways to get beatgrids enabled.

install ableton or ableton demo and enable the bridge. now beatgrids will automatically be created when you analyze and the beatgrid edti button will be enabled.

you could also install Itch 2.1 and analyze there. Itch has beatgrid support natively. you have to edit the grids in Itch tho if you don't have the bridge installed.
    djnyce: do you then need to leave the bridge enabled for the beatgrid to continue working?

Or, are you seeing things working okay with SL/ME leaving the bridge enabled?
    MixEmergency reads the Beatgrid from the file itself - so you won't need to leave The Bridge enabled, as far as I'm aware.
    Nick, love the update! the auto border is beautiful.
    The beat grid is great but I can't seem to find the grid BE from the video to do the beat grid transitions... or maybe I just don't see how.

Anyone else have this issue?
    It's not out yet - it'll be out in the next week or two on our plug-ins page: http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/plugins/
    ah... good... thought i was losing it!
    Nicely done.
    cool - that is what I was also looking for - beat grid transitions
    Mark, you leave the checkbox for the bridge enabled, but you never have to open up Ableton again. as long as the checkbox is enabled, you will have the ability to edit and create beatgrids.
    Thanks djnyce... guess I finally have a use for the bridge/beatgrids after all.

Even without having done that, the new ME effects looked pretty spot-on to me. I assume the beatgrid thing would help for live-drummer songs that don't keep a quantized tempo.
    mark did u try your iphone for the live camera? how was it?
    I will this week try it...with iwebcamera..

http://www.drahtwerk.biz/EN/Products/iPhone/iWebcamera.aspx
    Yes, I've used it a bunch of times in the past week.

Very crashy when actually turning on or off the camera feed. But seems stable if its left on (use the knob to fade it on/off).

It gets a lot of attention :-)
    Total SL 2.2.0/ME 2.0 uptime yesterday: 9 hours. No problems at all. Also haven't been able to reproduce the "beachball when attempting to quit" thing again either.
    I dont get any problems with iWebCamera. Working just fine with:

iWebCamera 2.0, iPhone 4s (iOS 5.0.1)
    MBP i5 (2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, GeForce 330M (256MB)
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Home WLAN network

No crashes, only video is not smooth like on Skype but is OK. Got some small twitch.

Nice feature Nick, tnx for this once more...
    Today I tryed one more program, its call Web Camera (iPhone, BlackBerry...)

Program its better, can change quality and other. You can find program here:

http://www.mobiola.com/mobiola-web-camera

njoy people ;)
    Wow thanks for the tip peeps, That live webcam from your phone is going to be an AWESOME tool to use! :) Question is, can it be used without a wifi network - can you create a new closed wifi network from your computer to your phone without a router?
    the website says it needs a "wifi network"

Im looking for a bluetooth one or something.

I just installed the mobiola one, and it works well.
    though, here at work my wifi kinda sucks... so it keeps dropping it
    and everytime i reconnect I have to restart the desktop app
    something to think about:
    http://www.ecamm.com/mac/webcam/bt1/

it only has a range up to 30feet.
    but once some others start coming out maybe we will see more range, and a better picture
    I worked this out by creating your own wifi network. Make the new network on your computer and then connect to it via your phone. Make sure you password it though as people could easily hack otherwise!

Once you connect you should be able to stream the live webcam feed from the phone to your computer using ME. The range is then dependant on how far away the phone is from the computer.

HTH
    i installed mobiola how do you get ME to show the mobiola screen
  • edited April 2012
    yo the mobiola app is definitely the better iphone webcamera app.

at medium the quality is shockingly good. high (1920x1080) only works good if you have a 900mbps wireless router.

i've tried a direct connection but it still stutters at high.
    figured mine out but ya medium quality on mobiola is the best option. All users are suffering if set on high
    can somebody explain by steps how do this and you must have a internet connection right?
    @djfreestyle01 iphone web cam, you don't need internet. just a wifi connection that both the mac/pc and iphone can connect too.

both apps are a client/server setup with a server app on the pc/mac and a client on the iPhone.

with mobiola you install the app on the mac, install the app on your iphone. run the app on the mac, run the app on the iphone connect to the mac. on the mac you have to allow the iphone, choose mobiola in MixEmergency and you're good to go.
    If you wanna use your iPhone with ME and you dont have wireless in range, this is one options that can work. Just buy a wireless router and plug in him in power and thats all. You dont need internet for iPhone web cam. I will try this theory but its seems that will work. You connect your iPhone and Mac to router and thats all ;)
    Yes, I've done the same thing as above...wifi router with no internet connection works just fine.

The only issue is the annoyance of having no internet connectivity on the iphone when you have things set up that way.