Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is version 2.0 obsolete?

edited March 2012 in MixEmergency
Nick,

As ME 2.0 does not support Serato ScratchLive anymore...is this an obsolete piece of software? I was thinking about purchasing it, but am concerned that it will not be relevant moving forward.

Any assurance you can give concerning this issue?

Comments

• edited 10:38AM
    It works with all other versions.... The only draw back now is that if you owned a new rane mixer then it would run with 2.4 but other then that.. it works fine and would never be consider obsolete
    Yeah. No reason to switch to 2.4 unless you're using one of the new mixers. Just because the software MAY be "new" doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. There is absolutely nothing that 2.4 has that I find more useful than 2.3.3. But that's just me
    I am wondering if this is a rhetorical question? Is there something that could be said that you don't already know Justin? If something is being worked on I doubt it will be known until both parties make the announcement, so why ask?
    Justin Inklen and Serato are still in talks with bring SSL2.4+ to work with MixEmergency. As djpoproxxx pointed out unless you need to use one of the new Rane Mixers there is no need to upgrade to SSL 2.4. You can always use a SL 1,2, or 3 with the new Rane 62&61 and midi map it to MixEmergency. MixEmergency is no were near obsolete and won't be any time soon.
    I will run my lappys with leopard and snow leopard with 2.0 or 1.9.2 as long as they will go as long as i can still use ME.

unless serato really comes out with something extraordinary in vsl or ssl, i have no reason to upgrade.

splice/timeline would be nice....but still not enough if ME isn't compatible.
    There are DJ's out there still running 1.9.2 and that was released years ago... So is there any reason on why you couldn't run 2.3.3. for years (at least 2 years, about how long it will take serato to update Serato-Video).
    I personally would be confident running 2.3.3. for at least the next year.
    Justin if you are DJ'ing often enough (1 to 2 times a week) the $200 cost of ME is worth the it even if you can only use it for the next year.
    Thanks all for the replies, I agree with every point made.

I was hoping that perhaps Nick would have a response however as he really is the only one to know the answer. It's strange that he hasn't, but perhaps he hasn't seen this thread yet.
    @vj justin allen - I've seen this discussion, but you seem to continue to ask variations of the same question that I've already answered for you (or others) several times on the forum.
    ^^^ completely agree!

I really don't understand the "necessity" of upgrading RIGHT AWAY. I mean, if we know and have seen anything .... we ALL know that jumping on a new update of SSL right away is something none of us should do.
    Nick,

Actually I have not seen your answer to this question...this is the first time you have posted in a thread where I have asked it. Could you point me to the correct thread?

Thanks.
    this dude is such a fucking sucka. either buy it and use it or don't buy it and keep using windows media player.
    As you know absolutely nothing about me I find it funny that you just jump to assumptions.

Have a nice day djmyce...if you can contribute anything positive to this thread I would love to see it....otherwise, I don't really have any time for you.

Nick, if I have asked a question that you cannot answer just let me know...all I am looking for is a thread where you have already answer the question I have asked. I honestly did not think that was too hard.
    lol @ Nyce!
    I've seen your post in numerous threads Justin. And the answers usually appear after a few comments past your own. It's been stated a bunch of times
    The issue is that anyone buying ME not does not have any upgrade path. Why buy a plug-in if it has an end-of-life issue. Of course Nick will not say anything because all of the newer DJ's coming into the video game would then think twice about purchased a plug-in, an unauthorized plug-in at that, before buying the real deal.

Personally I hate seeing manufactures in the DJ community take advantage of those that do not know better.

Will Nick offer refunds if someone buys ME 2.0 and beyond and then finds out it will never be supported by Serato...and will never work past version 2.4? Serato's statement is that it's not supported and Inklen's statement is that...well pretty much nothing because he let's customers speak for him.

Or is it OK with everyone if a company goes out and just screws over other Dj's?

Since Nick refuses to even discuss this issue I find that suspicious.
    Yeah man, Nick's master plan is to release a product that no one can use, then take all their money so he can retire in the Bahamas. If you seriously haven't seen the reply to your question in Inklen's or Serato's forums then you sir are an idiot.
    I'll just leave this here for the internet challenged.

http://www.inklen.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=853&page=1#Item_3
    For the time challenged you can clearly see that I posted my question 17 hours ago...and the link you shared was 12 hours ago.....5 hours AFTER I posted my question.
    @vj justin allen - http://www.inklen.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=763

And before you argue that this is not an answer to your specific question - your question is based around a premise that you aren't certain of going into the future.
    But that is my entire point Nick...neither are you.

Over on the Serato site you have allowed others to make the statements for you that you cannot and will not make 2.0 compatible with ScratchLive 2.4 and beyond until you have the legal right to do so. However Serato has stated on their site that they don't care if you do.

A new DJ just coming into video see's the clear differences between Serato Video and ME and thinks they should buy ME....but if ME becomes obsolete then the newer DJ is going to be pissed at Serato not you...yet you are the only one who has made a profit off of that DJ.

It just sets up a dangerous situation.
  • edited March 2012
    I can assure you that I have not "allowed" others to make statements for me - I cannot control, or compel, and neither censor what *anyone* else (other than myself) has posted. [edit: technically, I guess I could on this particular forum.... being a moderator.... but, believe me, I don't go around editing eveyone's posts for fun ;) ]

As I and Serato have stated multiple times, we are still in discussions as to how both products can continue working in the future. Neither will they, nor I make a comment to any of our customers as to where we are in these discussions - this is simply good ethical business practice between companies that respect each other.
    Will you agree to refund any purchases to new customers that purchase ME 2.0 (or beyond) and then find out within 90 days of purchase that there will be no agreement with Serato?

That is also good ethical business practice.
    No, there won't be a refund, because as has (also) been stated multiple times, ME will not suddenly *not work* anymore, but it will continue to work with any version previous to 2.4 (and it does so quite successfully if you just had a look at other people's comments, above for example).
    This justin allen dude, what a freaking troll.
    Thanks Nick...this is good information to pass along.

Please correct me if I am wrong, it's important that I get this right.

1) Serato and Inklen do not, as of yet, have an official agreement to work together

2) Mix Emergency will not work with any versions past ScratchLive 2.4 at this time

3) There will be no refunds should you purchase Mix Emergency if agreements between Inklen and Serato cannot be reached.

Is all of this correct?
    And also what you got to remember this product can be used on its own (even without serato).

If you would like to run visuals, clipbanks, and some of the various other functions.
    What if you just want to run a camera feed into a program to display on screens with overlays and messages etc.

I'd dare say ME is one of the better programs for 'visual' work alone.
    As with every major piece of software, you can download a demo version to see if you like it and suits what you need for the application you want to apply it for.

It states the specifications required to run it, and also states that 2.0 will not currently work with versions of 2.4 and above.

If none of the features/specs or anything else you are unsure about, there is a simple solution.
    Don't buy it.

Ever since the issue come up Nick has been informative (to the best of his ability and legally) to let users know about the situation.
    So in my eyes thats more customer support regarding a 'video' product more than serato had released over the last few months.

If serato wanted to be real arses about things, they could order Nick to remove all mentions about scratch live in any material nick has in place.

In my eyes originally it was seen as serato had completely shut the door on ME, but Nick has stated that they are still in talks.
    Surely that should be enough to go on for the time been, as at least its progress into a solution what people require.

Hats off to Nick and what he does, but it also the responsibility of 'You', 'me' or anybody else to do research into a product before just simply going out and buying it.
    Justin really again we can all tell you what you dont want to hear.

1)no
    2)no
    3)no

I would assume (and I am by no means informed) that serato and inklen are waiting to see how the whole market reacts. The vocal few of us on the internet forums are be no menas a true representation of the whole market. We all have no choice but to voice our opinions to both companies and wait and see what they deiced to do.
    code:E Why do you say the answers are no...when clearly in this thread they are all yes?

I do agree however with the rest of your statement...open and honest..oh, and fast, resolution of this issue is in the best interests of all customers.
    hmmm maybe you were agreeing with my recap?
    I'm just simply LOL-ing my head off here reading all the crocodile tears over the possible "obsolescence" of a $200 piece of software.

Exhibit A, aka "Reality Check": The Video DJ's who ran out and bought Pioneer's $6,000 "Audio Video mixer" and $3,000 DVJ players when they came out in late 2007.

That particular example comes to mind because last night I played in a club that had made exactly those purchases. $12,000 worth of expensive gear bought only a few years ago that is now completely obsolete, with functionality that is completely blown away by a $200 piece of software.
  • edited March 2012
    That is absolutely not true. While I did not purchase the mixer, I did purchase 6 of the DVJ-X1's 7 years ago...and I still use them 4 times a week. And thanks to ScratchLive they actually have more functionally than they did originally.

As a side note, the platter resolution on the DVJ-X1's have more resolution than the CDJ-1000's do...leading to better timecode control.

With all this I also get 100% video backup within 15 seconds should my computer system fail on me...not getting that in a $200.00 piece of software...or a $3500.00 computer either lol
    When the fifth or sixth revision of the iPad has enough horsepower to do everything we can now do with a high-end Macbook Pro, will we be complaining that Apple had misled us by "obsoleting" our earlier computer purchases?

Will we be complaining to Nick because whatever he comes up with for that platform blows away anything we have now?

Seriously...let's get a grip here.
    Mark...this really has nothing to do with anything being obsolete...everything becomes obsolete :)

It's more about misleading the newer DJ's that will just be getting into video because of Itch's ability to now do video...and converting over to ScratchLive. If ME is obsolete with anything past 2.4, including the newer Rane mixers, then this is something they should be informed of before purchasing a currently unauthorized plug-in.
    "100% video backup within 15 seconds"... that is actually excellent advice.

I will make sure all installs I'm involved with have a $25 DVD player wired into the system, and a supply of DJ-mix DVD's on hand for instant backup in case the DJ's computer fails and he has to switch computers and/or hard drives.

Much appreciated, thanks.
    "misleading the newer DJ's"?

Look - v e r y - c a r e f u l l y - at this page:

http://www.inklen.com/mixemergency/

Top of the page....
    I did...it says "at this stage". If it had the following I would have no issues

1) Serato and Inklen do not, as of yet, have an official agreement to work together

2) Mix Emergency will not work with any versions past ScratchLive 2.4 at this time

3) There will be no refunds should you purchase Mix Emergency if agreements between Inklen and Serato cannot be reached.
    Apologies in advance, I'm done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedant
    I believe this may be a bit more fitting Mark

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumbass
    No problem Mark...I view insults as the last refuge of a lost argument.
    Here's a simple solution Nick... Kick his dumb ass off your website.. It seems as though all he has to say is negative shit about ME anyway So why debate with his.. If he doesn't own it why cater to any of his question. Remove him.. Imma start a campaign to have him banned off the Inklen Site.. All in favor +1... 50 +1's and he's gone.. what you say?
    well, if we could predict the future, we would know the answers....but apparently nobody can.

so "at this stage" still stands.

it's like saying the world will not explode "at this stage". may happen tomorrow. may not. whether u choose to freak out is up to you.
    I have the new Rane 62, but when I'm mixing video I ONLY trust ME... and version 2.0 just made me ejaculate into my own eyes. It's an amazing piece of software and it runs smoothly! NO LAG!

I have midi-mapped everything to 2.2.2 and I use my SL4 when I play video just to have ME :D
    I made back triple what I paid for ME 1.5 when I did my first video gig.

If I paid $199 for ME 2.0, I still would get back triple what I paid on my next gig. Getting it free now is just gravy.

If I paid $199 for ME 2.0 thinking that it would work with SSL 2.4 or newer, then I only have my own stupidity and ignorance to blame. I mean c'mon, it's on Inklen's home page, and all over the internet!
    @afrog You mean you have me 2.0 mapped to your 62 midi? and use your sl4 to run 2.2.2.?
    How are you able to map this ?
  • edited March 2012
    Hey Justin! Why not ask Nick, who's gonna win the Superbowl, or NBA title? Since you seem to think he has this crystal ball thru which he can see into the future...

Damn man, do us all a favor and take a break from both this forum and the Serato forums for a little errrr Forever!

Nick has already stated that he is still in talks with Serato. He will tell us of any news as soon as he knows something.
    i tested this with an sl1 box. the sl1 box will be the serato interface and the 62 will be a standard mixer with midi out (think pio djm 900).

setup the sl1 box, cdj's/turntables and 62 as you would a normal mixer.

plug in the 62 to your laptop and make sure the source's are set to 1/2 and 3/4.

run ssl 2.3.3 and ME 2

in ME 2 map the 62's upfaders and crossfader and whatever else you like. in ssl map whatever you like.

also when you switch between cues/samples and loops auto/manual you actually get 2x the buttons/knobs because the 62 sends different midi notes depending on the state of the loops auto/manual and cues/samples buttons.

and because ME supports midi out and the 62 supports midi in, the buttons will light up if you press a button in ME.
    Wow this guy is rediculous....obsolete?? Is someone going to come take 2.3.3 and every other version I have saved away from me?

How many times have you made claims that you have hardware solutions for everything that M.e. can do?

Would that not mean you are already comfortable using "obsolete" and outdated technology ?

Why are you so hell bent on riding sv like it should be the only solution, I mean really its only 2 mixers man...there are plenty of other options out there..

Is it because you mad that you spent all that money on hardware solutions and M.E provides a software solution for much which is at least equal to if not far surpasing any hardware solutions you are running right now?

You seem like a pretty knowledgable dude but man with this whole sv/M.E thing you seem like an ass....remember the time when if you wanted to use vsl you needed a 57.....well right now if you want to use M.e. you need 2.3.3 or lower and any capable mixer except for the 61/62...Whats the big deal?
    djnak...the big deal is that there are a lot of newer DJ's that are now starting to use video, mostly because of Itch getting that option. I know of 3 DJ's that purchased ME because of all the misinformation and extreme hype over on the Serato forums. Yes, it's a great plug-in...but it's currently at a dead-end. You cannot use it with Itch and you cannot use it with a 61 or 62 mixer.

Make it clearer to those new DJ's and I have no issues...but this bait and switch tactic of a small line of text vs the same 5-10 shills over on the Serato forum is screwing over DJ's that do not know better.
    wow
    Why are you so concerned about these newer djs? Are you the vj police? The system requirements clearly state that Scratch Live 1.9.2 - 2.3.3 and a mac are needed. They also have the option to use the damn demo to try before they buy. Really man, you're retarded.
  • BigBig
    edited March 2012
    @Disco Duck that was funny,,,, DJ Police LOL DJ POLICE. For the record obsolete means no longer in use or suppressed by something newer. So if you are a father and you have a son you are now OBSOLETE. Too much play with that word obsolete but I know Justin was not referring to that. Nick has throughly explained on this site the limitation of ME with the Serato software even a fifth grader dj would be able to understand what's going on,,, I see no hidden secrets on Inklen's part yet each and every person has a right to express their feelings so let me express mine.

Thanks to Inklen (ME) I have more fun djing at my events, I paid for ME a long time ago and made that money back the first gig just like I did with Serato. If I had to pay again for ME I would (Nick not saying do that) because it just that good and the customer support shit you couldn't even pay for that by far the best on any software out there. Even if you used it for a month it would be worth buying just for the recording feature alone, besides if you call yourself a DJ and can't afford to maybe lose $200 you need to find something else to do because none Obsolete equipment will break down the day after the warranty has expired an you will have to pay to get it fixed. That's real talk..... If serato won't work with ME then I won't be using the newer versions until it does and or they out do ME. Hell it took two years for Serato to put out an update that's really not an update it just allows more sucker DJ's in the game. By certain standards Serato is Obsolete and misleading but I prefer to keep Serato Shortcomings off Inklen's forums out of respect... It's well documented on the Serato forums about how unhappy Serato customers are,,,,, how much negative stuff have you seen or heard about Inklen /ME.........? Hummmmmm now that's FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!!!! People deal with those that they trust and give praise to them and for those you can't trust ,,,,,,, well you know the deal.
    Justin you seriously need to stop arguing with everyone here. It IS stated what is needed. If a DJ can't read the details stated clearly about the product, then he seriously needs to not be using any piece of software that you clearly have to read.

Again .... why are you concerned about newer DJ's? Worry about yourself and what's good for you. I have seen way too many posts from you asking the same question over and over and over and arguing about the same question over and over and over. If you want 2.4 sooooooo bad then use it and SV. Move on. Geeze. I feel like I need to take crazy pills every time I read your posts to understand what you're thinking.

ME is amazing and beats SV clearly (as of now). If is SV is all good for you then you got it. If you're truly an amazing DJ with all this equipment, then this little program should be pocket change. If it is that much of a risk, no one is saying you have to have it. Either get it or don't. We will continue to be in the present and/or future of video dj'ing. That is what we all choose. You are the only one in here going way beyond on this topic. We all understand, yet you don't. And don't get me wrong, but judging by your vids and pics you look like you would have a tad of wisdom on you. So enough man. Most of us here could probably agree that we know that you know and understand the answers. It feels like you are arguing just to argue now.

Again I will say this ......
    It's not that Serato put a "don't let ME work with SL" code. They just changed their coding like any software company would most likely do every once in awhile. It's just that ME is not working at this time with the new coding. I truly believe if Nick could make it work before, he can make it work again IMO.

Who knows what the BS between Serato & Inken convos is. What we know is what we know. For now. And what we DO know is that jumping on updates of SSL right away has not been a good thing for the last 1-2 years if not more. Relax. If your setup is working, then stick to it.

PS - Wanna know my backup if Serato crashes. Live mixes on my phone hooked up to my mixer with ambient visuals on the screens. And that my sir was FREE (already having a smart phone and ME).
    wait, your smartphone works with ME? =P
    hahahaha! funny guy. lol! at least i finally got a laugh in on this subject :D