Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twitter Quartz Composition Overlay

edited March 2012 in MixEmergency
After a number of requests, I've tidied up this Quartz Compotision overlay that will display a Twitter search (for example, you can search for "@yourusername" to find all of the tweets that mention a particular username).

Here's the file: http://www.inklen.com/download/172/TwitterXMLFeed_MixEmergency.zip

Download. Unzip. Edit (to add your username - you'll need Quartz Composer for this). Save. And then load it into MixEmergency in the Quartz Composition Overlay section.

I've changed a few things:
- Change the positioning system (positioned relative to the bottom, so you don't lose it on 16:9 screens).
- Added a customisable time limit, currently defaulting to showing Tweets within the last 12 hours.
- Colours are now more easily customised.
- The text will now look clearer (there was an issue with the unit sizes).

The original file was created by this MixEmergency user: http://twitter.com/vjxplicit ....so maybe "follow" him if you end up using it, and send him a tweet to say thanks!

Comments

• edited 11:09AM
    Instructions for editing it to use your own search term:

1) Open the .qtz file in Quartz Composer.
    2) Make sure that none of the patches are selected.
    3) Push the keyboard shortcut command-1 (to open the Inspector).
    4) In the field titled "#", type the hash tag you wish to search for (e.g. "@inklen" to list my twitter mentions).
    5) Push return.... that's it.

You can also edit a number of other parameters, which should be fairly self-explanatory.
    u da man, nick
    Great work.
    nice work Nick. i will definitely start using this.
    1) Open the .qtz file in Quartz Composer.
    2) Make sure that none of the patches are selected.
    3) Push the keyboard shortcut command-1 (to open the Inspector).
    4) In the field titled "#", type the hash tag you wish to search for (e.g. "@inklen" to list my twitter mentions).
    5) Push return.... that's it.

I did all that and now i got only blue background...no tweets...
    change the time to greater than 12 hours. also you need to have some mentions (somebody tweets you).
  • edited March 2012
    Used it last night. Works great. People had a good time putting comments up on the screens.
    got it coming up in blue on the bottom of the screen but i cant get to the "inspector" screen as whenever i do cmd 1 it just hides the video windows? any ideas guy's
    it's driving me nuts now
    @Andy_Boy - It's probably what djnyce has said: you need some "mentions" on twitter.

@dave28 - Step 1: Open the .qtz file in Quartz Composer (the instructions are for Quartz Composer - not MixEmergency)
    ah ok cheers nick. where can i download the composer ?
    You need to install the Apple Developer Tools.
    Unfortunately it is quite a large download/install to use just a small part of it (the actual Quartz Composer application is tiny).
    ill find that on the app store will i ?

sorry for being such a nooob its quite embarrassing :/
    Yep - it'll either be on an installer DVD (if your computer is old enough), or you'll find it in the App Store (seach for "xcode").
    Found it on the app store cheers nick :) 2.0 rocks my world!!
    nice Nick thx! gonna make me use my twitter more :)
    If I wanted to position it on the top of the screen where would I edit that information?
    ^^ would like to know this also
    i got it
    got it as well. I'll play with it on Thursday and see how it works out.
    ive got quartz composer working now and ive got my tweets coming up in the composer. how do i transfer that over to mixemergency ? do i need to export it as a certein file before i drag it into the ME composition window ?

cheers dave
    Just save it in Quartz Composer, and then drag that file onto the Quartz Composition overlay section of MixEmergency (you'll also have turn on the Enable button, and shift the Mix control so that you can see it in MixEmergency).
    all sorted now :)
    i still gotta make a twitter account...
    Thanks guys. Used it last weekend and the crowd loved it!
    I am trying to use Yahoo Pipes to keep "foul language" from the twitter feed. I am able to get everything to work besides the avatar of the user. Seems that the rss feed does not include media through the feed even though I can see it via html and xml in firefox.

If anyone can help or has any other idea of a different method to censor the feed that would be great.
    i'm on 10.6.8 and I can't seem to open the twitter quartz in the Quartz Composer program. Would anybody know what version of quartz composer I should be using. The one in the app store says i need 10.7.3 to download that version. thanks....
    nevermind...got it. Awesome!!!
    I love this quartz but people in Australia just dont use twitter that much:(

Nick is there any way to make a Quartz file thats linked back to a #(hashtag)fanpage on Facebook that keeps updating like this twitter Quartz?
    I don't think Facebook is possible without some sort of authorization token. I don't really know enough about it to be honest - and don't have the time to look into that sort of thing right now. If someone is working on it, and has an XML feed working, then I don't mind helping them out on the Quartz Composition side of things though.
    anyone want to share their qtz file of their twitter appearing at the top of the screen ? ;)
    @dave28

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P0awB99nQL8/T328XVa8SvI/AAAAAAAAAQU/0HeI27GbVkA/s0-d/2012-04-05
    hey, just to make sure im not doing something wrong

you can set a feed to a user ie: "@Joshua_Carl" or "@inklen"
    but not to a hash-tag ie: "# wtf " or " #PartyAtDaves "
    @drockwell lol although that looks cool i meant the actual modified quartz file ;)
    @dave28 ;)

I found this link to twitter rss feed cheat sheet..

http://theinfobabe.blogspot.com/2011/06/twitter-rss-feed-creation-cheat-sheet.html
    @djjoshuacarl - you can search for either. In the "#" field of the composition, enter:

@Joshua_Carl

If you want to search for mentions. Or, enter:

PartyAtDaves

If you want to search for the hashtag #PartyAtDaves (it'll automatically add the # in front of it).
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! gotcha!
    I had afew people ask me the same thing
    wow this is crazy! so whats the best thing that u guys have experienced with this whole twitter thing? i want this!!!!!! lol
    Im a newbie to Quartz.....My tweet lines are overlaying on the twitter name. Anyone help me on how to adjust line spacing between lines of text.....AND perhaps how to adjust the twitter feed to the top of the screen...Luvin this!!

Thanks
    Can I only show tweets from other people, or can I set it up to read my tweets as well?
    It can only show a search of your 'mentions', or of a hash tag. If you mention yourself, then that will show up.
    i think the best way is to use a hashtag that represents your event. so if you're at the tunnel for "friday night live" you would tweet and have your fans and guests tweet "blah, blah, blah #fridaynightlive".

now all tweets with the #fridaynightlive hashtag will show up in your qtz twitter feed.

mentions (@djnyce) are nice, but not as effective as hashtags.
    I downloaded xcode but the command to open the inspector is not working? Also in what field do we enter the hastag info? Any help would be appreciated
    Have you opened the Quartz Composition in Quartz Composer?
    Ya Nick I opened the quartz composer after downloading xcode, but not sure what to do from there
    download the file listed on nicks very first post.
    after you download it then open it and it should open up with quartz composer.
    after that press -1 and then put in your twitter user name.
    get out of program and it will prompt you to save the file.
    get that file and drag it to mix emergency quartz composer section.
    I did all that but where is that -1. I tried entering it on keyboard and it did nothing
    its the - on the keyboard between the 0 and the +. so hit that on the - and then the 1 and that should open up the editor

or you can click on the editor button on the quartz composer.

either way it should bring up a seperate window to enter your twitter info
    Yeah - it might be easier to just use the "Patch Inspector" button.... alternatively, on the View window, you could use the "Input Parameters" button.
    I can't install Xcode. Tried from my install disc and from an older version online. I'm running Snow Leopard. Anyone else have this prob?
    Ok I have the inspector open but now there is no place to input my information all that is listed is...

File name, file type, location, and full path?
    @DiscoDuck - I'm not sure why you can't install Xcode.... I've never had any issues with that.

@dvdjmattmatics - you have a patch selected. In the editor, make sure that nothing is selected (click on the background).
    clicked on background still nothing? Can I paypal someone money just to make one for me>??
    Worked like a charm... takes about 30-60 secs to update new tweets.
    and technically you dont need a twitter account to use this feature
    yeah, it's kicking my ass too. are you guys doing this on the latest version of xcode? if someone could make a quick youtube vid they'd forever be my hero.
    I'll paypal money to whoever does it for me
    @dvdjmattmatics I figured out what our problem was. Apparently, if you just install the newest version of Xcode 4.3.2 it doesn't include the actual Quartz Composer. You have to go under the menu XCode > Open Developer Tools > More Developer Tools. It'll open up an Apple site. Download "Graphics Tools for XCode - March 2012" and install it.

Then everything will work just fine.

Kudos to everybody who helped out on this project. Many thanks.
    Hey Nick,

Two very important things:

I saw someone asked about changing the y position of the twitter feed but I did not see an answer, any suggestions?

Also, most importantly, how could we add the capability to see the tweet ahead of time in which the program will require us to approve of certain tweets before publishing to the output screen. For example, I have proms to dj coming up soon and I know there will be immature kids writing swear words and making fun of others if I use this feature. At the least is it possible to censor swear words?

Thank you for your time Nick!
    -Sean
    For those having trouble installing xcode. you must apply for an apple developer membership:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

After that just go to the link below, on the 3rd page, a link from April 21, 2011 will be titled "xcode 3.6.2 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard"

Download this 4 gb file, open it install it, and wala quartz composer will be within the "Applications" folder that easily opens up Nick's qtz file above.

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
    I think there's a Math patch in there that controls the Y position - so you'd have to play around with that. I don't have it on me this second - so can't check it myself.

Regarding checking tweets beforehand - well, that's not possible with the way that this is doing them. It would be possible to add a filter for words that you don't want to display.
    I know you're very busy Nick but when you get the chance do you think you can write out steps of how to do the filter of words and make explicit words not show up as well as step by step instructions on how to adjust the math patch? I am quartz composition illiterate but am trying hard to learn!

Thanks,
    Sean
    The filter would be be done via the Javascript patch that already "filters" the most recent 10 or so tweets - so it would require some programming knowledge.

There may be a better solution though - but I don't really have the spare time to look into it right now.

For the Y position:

Find the math patch that is joined to the Rendering Destination Dimensions.

Right now it looks like this equation: input x -0.5 + 0.15

If you want to change the position, and have it sit relative to the bottom, then change the 0.15 number to something else....

If you want to have it relative to the top, then it should look like this: input x 0.5 + -0.15
    I've been looking into a way to block certain words.. I found:

http://www.conroyp.com/2010/03/11/declutter/

It only blocks unwanted words through the web interface, however the javascript is there.. If someone can combine this with the existing qtz file, we'd have our answer. I'd do it if I knew how...
    DJ Dave Ott, declutter won't work. The twitter feed uses RSS to get the tweets. javascript won't be able to affect the xml once the it's retrieved. declutter works by manipulating the DOM in the browser. because there isn't a 'DOM' in Quartz Compositions it won't work.

i think the way to do this would be to make a text file with a list of words to blacklist. the qtz would then need to retreive this list, search every word, find a match in the xml and remove the xml node that contains a match.

i think trying to add this feature will add a ton of overhead and is little tricky. imo, it's not worth it.

i have 2-3 qtz saved as presets with different keywords. so if bad tweets start coming in, i'll just switch.
    anyone have luck with yahoo pipes? I can get everything to work but the avatar will not show up in the new rss feed.

http://pipes.yahoo.com
    Also noted...in order for your tweet mentions to come up, you have to have your tweet privacy "unprotected" in your privacy settings...(thanks nick!!)

come to think of it..... does the other person who mentions your name...do they also have to unprotect their tweets? can anyone confirm?

reason I ask, is that I've had a few people mention me within the allotted time, and 2 of the 5 only come through.....
    Wooo I used it last night and it was pretty fun. I moved the bar to the top of the screen so it doesn't conflict with any chyron that come up. I def will want to dig through each part's preferences to see if refreshing more often and having them drop off after a certain # can be done (ie only cycle through the last 5-10 instead of after so many minutes).
    So i FINALLY got ME and love it so far as i knew I would! I've dl the twitter qtz and have it up and running but it doesn't seem to be updating to recent tweets. Can anyone help?
    Got it!....lol.....just needed some time to figure it out.....spent most of the day today midi mapping and getting the setup ready for tonight. Everything is working and looking good!
    Hi Nick,

Looking at Facebook feed. Found how to show them. Just working on filtering and what I can and can't display. Not as much info or features at moment can only really get rss feeds for pages and that's about it.

However for those of you looking and wanting this feature unless you a guru, there is actually no easy way to get rss feeds. Once I have found an easy way to give these feeds I will release a beta. but will start a new post so not high jacking this one
    Cool - sounds good.
    BIGUP VJXplicit for workin' on that facebook feed ...

this is a highly anticipated feature for me since over here in central europe, EVERYBODY is on facebook but twitter is very small.

keep us posted.

greetz,
    scorp
  • edited May 2012
    I have been messing with the parameters for a while now and have everything i need figured out minus the time it looks for posts. I did a test last night and today when i was trying it out again the .qtz is still pulling information from the hashtag i posted last night.
    *EDIT* I had the old file, I D/L the new one and it was in front of my face!
    What do we need to do in Quartz Composer to move the Twitter Feed to the TOP of the screen?
    I can't check right this second - but I believe there is a math patch near the bottom of the composition which you'll have to edit.
    ....I should really make this one of the options for the composition.
    as Nick stated it's the math patch in the root.

make sure parameters are showing. click the math patch (between Rendering Destination Dimensions and Y Input). you can change Operand #1 or Operand #2.
    @Nyce...Man you'll have me tearin' all kinds of $h! up... LoL! I better wait on step by step directions or a video tutorial.
    Hey so I used this last night for the first time and I only had one small issue. When setting up in Quartz Composer I can only get "#" tweets. Everytime I try to use "@" i get a blank screen. Anyone know why?
    Do you have any recent mentions? Old tweets won't show up.
    I was sending new tweets to myself at the club but nothing would show up. I have a brand new Twitter account so i don't really have any followers. But i thought the tweet to myself would show up.
    Are your tweets set to private? Other than that, I'm not sure what would be going on.
    Problem solved. I am a total twitter nube. When I was tweeting to myself I foolishly didn't realize I still have to use "@" myself for the tweet to be seen by the world. Thanks for your help. Oh and for the record, the club/bar owner totally loved this feature. He saw it as an excellent way to promote drink specials and to advertise their upcoming events.
    Anyone proficient with Quartz Composer in the NJ/NYC area that wants to make a few bucks, please reach out......Actually, I guess it doesn't matter what area you're from......I need to get some stuff working but I'm "Quartz-less" in knowledge on this software.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    jsgwiz@mac.com
    I only get feed when I enter @ and not when I enter #. Any ideas?
    It's how you set it up in the Quartz programming djsonnyd
    Nick, Can you have 2 keywords for the feed. For example, @inklen be one and #mixemergency so if ppl tweet either it will come across?
    I don't think so - you'd have to try it out.

If it doesn't, then it could probably be reprogrammed to do this though.
    Here's how it's done:

mixemergency%20OR%20%40inklen%20include%3Aretweets
    I don't get it Patrick ...
    %20 = space
    %40 = @
    %3A = :

basically if you put exactly what Patrick wrote, the twitter api will return tweets that have the hastag of mixemergency or replies to @inklen. the rest of it says to include retweets

there is a parameter of the twitter api that includes retweets so theoretically this can work. test it out.
    does anyone have a qtz file with the feed on the top of the screen ? i've tried and failed to make my own lol
    You can put it at the top fairly easily.

There's a Math patch that connects to a patch with the title "Y Input"... use the patch inspector on the Math patch and change the -0.5 to 0.5, and the + to a -
    cheers nick took 2 mins, easy when you know how :)
    hi guys, ive been reading this thread for a while and ive now got the hang of editing to my likings....

ive also got 2 @ and 2 hashtags that it grabs tweets from which is amazing! but!

as soon as i get a new tweed or hashtag, it removes the other tweets and doesnt show the other tweets!? does anyone know why or how i change this??

thanks!!
  • I've got this thing pretty much licked but just curious if anyone found a way to change the author information to only include the twitname and not their actual name.
  • Well it finally happened last night... I got my first "FUCK YOU DAVE OTT" I'm looking for some information on how to set up a filter...
  • Is anyone having problems with the Twitter Feed connecting? The last couple gigs I had, I just wouldn't connect. Tried 2 different internet access points, refreshed everything, but no go :(
  • No problems here...still looking for info on how to filter content...help?
  • no one is having the issue i'm having. it has to be on the Twitter side and I need help. I've tried numerous files, networks, file saving ..... everything. I can surf the web, but the Twitter feed won't connect. It just shows the bar at the bottom, but no tweets appear anymore. Just started happening last week. Been using it fine for a long time now