Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colour customisation in MixEmergency 1.2

edited May 2009 in MixEmergency
Anyone who is familiar with XML can customise the colours of MixEmergency 1.2 if they would like. There is a file in the MixEmergency application package called "colors.xml" that can be modified. If you know about XML then it should be fairly obvious what to do with it - otherwise I wouldn't recommend playing around with the file.

If anyone does this (and finds an alternative colour scheme that they like to use), then please post a screenshot of the colour scheme in this thread.

Comments

• edited 10:11AM
    I'll just a note to this, instead of modifing the file inside the MixEmergency application, copy the file to ~/Movies/MixEmergency/colors.xml and edit this file instead (that way it will work no matter which version you run).
    Just to be clear:

1) Go to the MixEmergency application.
    2) Right click MixEmergency and select "Show Package Contents".
    3) Navigate into the folder named "Contents", and then into "Resources".
    4) Copy and past (don't move) the colors.xml into ~/Movies/MixEmergency/colors.xml
    5) Edit the new file at ~/Movies/MixEmergency/colors.xml
    are you talking about adjusting the actual colors of the program gui?
    Yeah
    I've had a few people ask me about this lately, so I thought I'd bump this thread back up.
    nice. i'll have a look-see at this very soon. lol!
    too bad got no knowledge about .xml
    Where is "~/Movies/MixEmergency/" located?
    Go into the Mac OS Finder. Then go to your "Movies" folder. Within that will be a folder named "MixEmergency".
    here is my east orange edition
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/franknitty69/6886199836/

it's too bright for me, but not bad for the first try. i need to try to find a good color combination.

finally figured out the controls one by one. the hard part is converting rgb 0-255 to rgb 0-1.
    Cool - looks a little hard to read though. This might help: http://www.colorpicker.com/ but again, you'll have to divide each RGB value by 255.
    i'm an idiot. i was dividing 1 by 255 and multiplying by the rgb value.
    that's gonna be burned into my retinas for a bit...
    Somebody make a video please
    so is this going to be a feature in 2.1? making it more user friendly, of course..
    Not likely.... right now I don't think changing the UI colours is more important than other features that I have planned. This color.xml file has been there for around 3 years so far. If it really is *that* popular though, then I may think about it.... though, at the same time, I don't want people giving it ugly/unusable colours and giving MixEmergency a bad name, haha.
    made a basic red background theme

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/tomatoslice/Screenshot2012-03-31at54931PM.png
    hopefully, it is not too ugly/unusable.

the features give MixEmergency such a good name, no color combination could could give it a bad one.
    i will say this though, the colors do not compliment each other...blah.
    will have to fix that.
    SF Giants (Black & Orange)

http://yfrog.com/z/odlkhcrj

Now if there is only a way to change the colors in SL!!!

--DEFT
    Is this gonna be in a more user friendly format in 2.1?
    I wasn't planning on it.
    Oops, posted it twice. Sorry.
    has anyone else been working with this?
    i landed on this red and black theme.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franknitty69/7148273875/
    I can only get mine to either red,blue, or green... How do you get other colors like orange. I understand the way colors are coded in xml, but when I open the file all I see is the word white and if I change that to one of the above mentioned colors it changes. When I plugin an alphanumerical color combination it does nothing.
    You need to use a combination of red, green, and blue.

e.g. orange would be something like:

i think i am just going to stick with my red design.
    it sticks out enough on the screen for me to find each window quickly and i can read it.

plus, to get it to be anything close to well designed i'd have to switch the greys to a shade of yellow due to the red and the blue. then i'd have to switch the white font to a black for readability. and even then the enable buttons and drop down windows (black) would need to be adjusted.

not knowing what each individual line changes is a bitch and trial and error is hell.
    maybe, hopefully, Nick won't mind providing some info on that someday.
    Nyce,

what line did you change to make the darker grey area red?
    i changed BoxBackground, TitleBar to 1.0/0.0/0.0.

i changed ControlBackground to 0.61/0.25/0.25

i also changed Unavailable to 0.75/0.0/0.0.

i had a cheatsheet that mapped the name in the xml to the control in the UI but i lost it. i have some free time this week so i'll redo it and upload it here.
  • Hey Nick I was wondering if this is still possible in 2.7.1 I'd like to be able to customize the gui to make it easier to read over SDJ
  • No, it's no longer possible - this only worked with the old style GUI.
  • Ok thanks for the quick reply always appreciated