Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Camera Input Feature Very Slow Refresh Rate

edited April 2012 in MixEmergency
After a lot of research and because of the very few webcams that actually work with the apple macbooks, I purchased the Logitec C910. The camera works very well on all the macbook’s programs including Apple Photo Booth, the camera works perfectly. However, when I use the camera with Mix Emercency the refresh rate is super delayed, it looks almost like stills, like if the camera is taking pictures and waits 2 seconds displaying the picture and then it goes to the next frame.

Is there something I need to do in ME settings? The way it is right now, it is pretty much useless and the camera was not that cheap either.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited 6:23PM
    Odd. I'm not sure what would be going on there. Have you tried using it on one of the channels (instead of as an overlay) with MixEmergency's "hidden feature" (DVInputStream) file.

I remember another user was having issues with frame rates recently, and he ended up opening the camera in QuickTime Player, then selecting a lower quality setting in QuickTime. You could try doing that (you'll have to exit QuickTime Player before using it in MixEmergency again).
    Thank you Nick for the reply

...but how do I do this?
    "Have you tried using it on one of the channels (instead of as an overlay) with MixEmergency's "hidden feature" (DVInputStream) file."

And how do I do this?
    "opening the camera in QuickTime Player, then selecting a lower quality setting in QuickTime. "
    Another thing I noticed the Overlay works perfect if I use the built-in iSight webcam. with that cam works as I expect it to work
    Here's how you use the DVInputStream 'hidden' feature: http://www.inklen.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=25

For the other part:

1) Open QuickTime Player
    2) In the menu, select File -> New Movie Recording
    3) A new windows should open up that shows the output from your camera
    4) Make sure you select the camer you want (if you're using Mac OS 10.7, there should be a little drop-down menu to the right of the full-screen icon)
    5) Set the Quality setting (also in the drop-down menu) to Medium
    Nick,

I downloaded the .zip file you suggested on the other thread and nothing happens? What is it? Is it instructions on how to get the hidden functionality or is it the plugin? Please advice, I would like to use it tonight.
    Unzip the file, and then drag the .DVInputStream file onto one of the (left or right) preview windows of MixEmergency.
    Ok, this is what is happening....

When I unzip the file using the Archive utility and it creates this file

video.DVInputStream.zip.cpgz

What am I doing wrong?
    Just rename the file to video.DVInputStream

Any file that ends in ".DVInputStream" will do....
    NIck,

Nothing happens. I renamed the file to video.DVInputStream and does not do anything. What is suppose to happen? The thread you suggested doe snot really tell me how is used
    You drag it onto one of MixEmergency's preview windows (left or right). It'll then open up one of the attached camera's on that channel.
    I am guessing I would know if the hidden feature activates on either channel, but nothing happens, actually I dont think is letting me drag and drop the file to the channel windows because I can see when it returns back to where I grab it from. mybe I am not unziping correctly but on a mac i dont know what unzip program works better.
    Can you go into the Finder, find the file, and then push the keyboard short-cut "Command-i" to bring up the Info window? Then, where it says Name & Extension, check that it actually ends with DVInputStream (and not .zip or something else).
    OK, Update. I downloaded Stuffit Expander and when I try to unzip it says that it cannot determine the format of the file :(

Sorry for bugging you this much Nick
    Well, it should work with any file with the extension .DVInputStream.... so, if you check the Info box, and make sure that it doesn't have any other extension (perhaps it's hidden on the Finder for you), then it should work.
    Nick,

I was able to make the DVInputStream feature but I do get the same result. The output is super slow, not usable at all with this logitech webcam, the weird thing is that when I use the internal iSight webcam on my macBook pro works very well, any ideas? have you tested this feature (either DVInputStream or Overlay) with any webcam other than the internal iSght on a mac?
    Yes - it has been tested with a number of cameras.

Can you please do the following:

1) Load the DVInputStream file onto one of the channels
    2) Open the Info window in MixEmergency (it's in the Window menu in the menu bar)
    3) Check to see what dimensions the video is rendering at (listed after "Size:" on that window)

I'm interested to know what size the buffer is that is being used for the video.
    sidebar:

not to the extent your describing, but the isight camera is pretty much always going
    to have a smoother picture becuase USB2.0 is only so fast

(Im looking into usb3, fw800/400 via express card ...yes, thats only for the 17" users)
    Info Window:

Frames Per Second 30.0
    -----------------------------------------
    Video RAM: 256 MB
    Output: 1024 X 768
    Pipeline: 1024 X 768
    Previews 418 X 236
    Refresh Rate: 60.0 Hz
    -----------------------------------------
    Size: 1600 X 1200
    Buffer: 0
    Back: 0
    For: 0
    -----------------------------
    Size: 0 X 0
    Buffer: 0
    Back: 0
    For:0

Is the size to large, can I adjust that , when I play a video the size changes to 640 X 360 and the buffer is at 1024
    I would say the issue is to do with trying to push such large video over USB....

If it's okay with you, I'd like to send you a test version of MixEmergency to see if it helps with this iss.
    That would be perfect, please send it. I believe you have my email address.
  • edited April 2012
    Sent - let me know (via e-mail) how you get on.
    I'm just curious to know if you guys were ever able to solve the super slow cam output issues. I had the same issues a while back until I finally just gave up. I have a logitech webcam also and the video was rendering at exactly the same dimensions. The isight cam works just fine but not really useful because all it does is point at me. I bought the external webcam thinking I could point it towards the dance floor and give everyone a live shot on the big screen.
    It was to do with the high definition images that were being streamed. It was possible for us to request a stream with lower dimensions - though, I am yet to implement this in a way that would work over a range of devices. It's one of the things that I have on my "to do" list though.
    can not wait to you get this off your "to do" list Nick
    i think all HD usb webcams have the lag issue......