Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Mac Power Issue

About a year ago my 2012 MBP died on me. Since I had more gigs that weekend I picked up the 1st replacement I could get my hands on, a 2011 17" MBP i7 2.4GH 2TB SSD 16GigRam. When I started using this machine I would randomly start experiencing an issue where half way through the night my machine would get sluggish and I found out it was because the battery was draining and on several occasions it completely powered down. Even though my laptop was plugged in I would check the battery meter and it would be on like 1% and die. I thought the machine was faulty and took it to get checked out and they confirmed the machine was fine. One night as I saw it was dying I turned off Mix Emergency and noticed that as soon as I stopped Mix Emergency the power stopped running out and the battery started immediately charging back up. So much so that the battery was back to 100% before the gig was over. Ive run the laptop since then without running MixEmergency without issue. Is Mix Emergency 3 just to much for that old of a laptop or is there another issue? My 2012 laptop ran MixEmergency perfectly and I never had an issue. Is there anything I can do to help stop the power consumption? Would using an older version of ME help? I know getting a new laptop will be my best bet but I am trying to hold onto this one long enough for the new M1 14" MacBook pros to come out.

Comments

• I remember that this is an issue with those older 2011 MacBook Pros. I can't honestly remember if there are any great solutions to this, and while it wasn't too bad at the time (generally they would just hold their charge), it is probably worse now that users are playing back more HD content. If I remember correctly, those machines can only decode a single HD video with GPU acceleration, so the other will likely be using the CPU (which will drain the battery faster).

I think that the 2012 models were the first to have decent GPU accelerated video decoding available to them.