Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feature suggestions ..

edited February 2010 in MixEmergency
Texts effects such as flashing texts, exploding texts etc

Text bank for ease of switching between several different text messages.
(has been suggested before, but i like it and would like to bump that suggestion)

White strobe effect overlay to turn the screen into a giant strobe, for buildups etc
(i have already suggested this one via email and had a positive reply from mr emergency)

Extended media bank, with option of 10, 20, 30 overlays to be shown.

Animated gif or flv overlay.
(Suggested before again)

Subtitles overlay to allow karaoke pub/bar dj's to add song lyrics to videos, similar to the games console karaoke games like singstar and lips etc, & to offer an alternative to compete with vdj's cdg compatibility.

what you think peoples ? please comment and suggest any other features you would like to see below.

Comments

• edited 8:20AM
    i agree with everything u have said except the karaoke thing. the strobe would be cool, especially if u can do it with texts on the screen!

the text bank is super cool, but there needs to be something like an "on the fly" control of texting, like if u wanna wish someone a happy birthday!

the extended media bank is very welcome!

they need some cool text features like vsl 1.2 with positioning and stuff.. and mor eliek the pioneer video mixer too!

good deal stveie g
    Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming. I'm always interested in finding out what you guys most want to see implemented in future versions of MixEmergency (I think Stevieg had one or two of his suggestions implemented in 1.4).
    positioning of the text would be huge, kinda like vsl
    jpg slideshow? i think it's been requested already tho...
    oooh...and it can use the same transitions ME already has...
    Yeah, it has been requested - but it never hurts to request it again :)
    i think with the transitions and effects u should be able to check mark what u want to use kinda like what u do here, but if u wanna add them back in... u can

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l207/henrygq/Screenshot2010-03-14at105849PM.png
    Yes, in the future it would be nice to be able to enable/disable any effects that you don't want to use.
    and the possibilty of setting up the transtions in the order we want or alphabetical order, even with the new plugins! :)

btw i love love love the swinging doors!
    maybe have something liek the swinging doors... where u have four columns... the first column is deck a secind column is deck b 3rd column is deck a again and 4th is deck b

that way it looks like the swinging door.. but in columns. if that makes sense
    can we have s strobing gradient map as well :) that shit rocks!

maybe doi soemthign liek that with the transitions! mmmm tthat would be banging !
    I can't quite imagine what you'd expect the 4 column swinging doors transition to look like. Are you able to create an image or something that explains it a little better?
    http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l207/henrygq/Screenshot2010-03-22at23509AM.png

ok. u see in here how there is 3 windows.. to give u the swinging doors

im saying there should be 4.. 1 window(or column) is kesha video(left)
    2nd window is daft punk left...
    3rd window is kesha right
    and 4th window is daft punk right
    kinda like how u split the video with the doors.. but ur making each window or column(for lack of a technical name) straight and narrow..no angle or any thing
    kinda liek what u did with slide or squeeze, but theres 4 now.. and they are cut like the swinging doors effect. and u make them vertical or horizontal
    also can we get some kind of spinning cube/ something that continues to spin when we have the crossfader in the middle ?

it just looks boring when its in the middle. also can we get something like that for the flip strip, grid strip, and segment wipe.

that would be super dope!!
    From your description I'm still struggling to imagine how the transition would look or progress. Would it be possible for you to mock-up the transition in Photoshop or something like that? That is, roughly show how you'd expect it to look at different stages (e.g. at the start of the transition, at the middle of the transition and at the end of the transition).

I've had a few suggestions for the cube transition - will have a look at what we can do :)
    Hey Henry - I just sent you an e-mail about one of the transitions.
    video censor

kinda like how the censor feature on ssl works for audio, perhaps something for video. for when you play a video that is mostly safe (for certain crowds) but with the occasional blip of naughtiness.

the button censors the video for the duration that the button is held down.

censoring can either be a quick cut to a jpeg, a preset vid clip (like ambient), qtz, or even a certain effect at max setting (LED, kaleidoscope, blur).

a little more development could include censor markers so you don't have to remember where those naughty parts are and ME will do it's thing at the appropriate time.
    Interesting.

You could kind of achieve this now by adding an effect to the master output and assigning a MIDI button to the wet/dry mix control. The only difference would be that you'd have to push the MIDI button once to turn it on and once to turn it off.
    ah...didn't think of that.

but that's only limited to using the fx. and you'd have to press a button twice. not much of a big deal.

but the censor markers would be nice. and an option to turn them on/off.
    How about a feature that cuts the video while using the J1 and J2 joysticks on the TTM 57SL Mixer while transforming or scratching? Maybe with a blue button like the up-fader mode button to enable or disable.
    got another one.

normally, the channel faders just fade the video signal to black when linked to the video. bring the fader down, video fades to black.....

what if...

when you bring the fader down, it de-saturates the video? or fades into another color? or fades in/out of an effect? or a qtz file?

of course, this feature will have to be turned on/off when you want it.
    Yeah - orginally I played with the idea allowing you to map the upfaders to an effect parameter, but I'm not sure how user-friendly it would be in the end. I definitely like the idea though... and specifying that the upfader only fades the video to black is a bit of a limited idea (creatively) in my opinion.
    hey nick. did we get a midi mappable button for hiding ME. kind alike what VSL does with the space bar button on the keyboard ?

unfortunately i have been using vsl lately cuz of that stupid little feature and... the fact that u can use the ext feature to place a txt anywhere on the screen
    Yep, on the main preview window there are a bunch of buttons, each one relates to a window (control, output, presets, overlay, etc.... and preview window). Mapping a MIDI button to the Preview window button will do what you're after.
    Also, you know that in MixEmergency you can use the X and Y control on the overlay's window to position text and image overlays.
    yeah i seen the text thingy.. pretty cool stuff.

but we can use our keyboard for any of that stuff ?
    im just use to hittin the space bar to do that. and i always have my hands on the keyboard..
    No - no keyboard short-cuts at this time. You might be able to hook up some sort of keystroke to MIDI app (not that I know of one specifically).

Or, you could reposition MixEmergency so that this isn't an issue. I've seen quite a few users with MixEmergency semi-transparent located near the top of their screen.
    u think there is way to have it linked to the spacebar. that way it shortens the screen on ssl but also or makes ME appear or re-appear ?
    Well, I don't think this would really be possible. To do it properly, MixEmergency would need to know when Scratch Live is going into that view mode (i.e. that you're not just pushing the space bar key to edit a tag, etc).
    well.. is there a way to program a key on the keyboard to hide all of ME ? and then of course bring it back ?
    That could be done. It would need to be a global hot-key though (and one that didn't interfere with any other of your application's short-cuts), like we've done for the autofade function.
    so basically it cant be done now...?

i just dont wanna hide one screen at a time.. that takes up too much time..
    I know you're saying that you want to use the spacebar, but do you know if it's possible to MIDI map the hide/show function in Scratch Live? If so, that would really be the simplest option here.
    Command-Tab might be what you're looking for (it's the Mac OS command for switching focus between all open applications).
    is there a way for ME to be linked to the eq controls of the TTM57sl? do you have access to that? or is ME limited to only the channel faders and x-faders?

i was thinking if we could assign certain fx to the eq knobs, that would be pretty cool. or even 2 fx per eq knob. like turning the bass down would engage a certain effect and the knob would control the wetness of the effect. or perhaps the fx would already be "pre-engaged" and running...which might be taxing resources already? these eq fx on top of the fx per channel and possibly main output might be too much? i dunno...that's why you're the coder and not me...

bass - at 0, nothing
    - turning down, desaturates
    - turning up, ripple or some distortion effect
    mids - at 0, nothing
    - turning down, lens distortion inwards
    - turning up, lens distortion outwards
    highs - at 0, nothing
    - turning down, blur
    - turning up, um...i dunno...some kinda oversaturation effect...?
    Sounds interesting. Would you expect them to be layered? That is, if you had the mids turned down and the bass turned up, would you then want both the ripple and lens distortion effects applied?

There are a bunch of ideas that we have about trying to get effects working in an easier more natural way, but I think it might be a matter of trying/testing them to see which are really the most usable.
    yes, layered. that's why i was concerned if this would take too much resources, especially if the user is also using fx per channel and possibly on the master as well....and with text, image overlay, etc...

and having the user select which fx they want on each control would be nice too. i'm sure only certain fx may be used in this method...or are more usable.
    yeah definately need to have a key on the keyboard that we can assign to hide all of ME and then to bring it back. this is a must for me.
    hey nick, was wondering if what i suggested is being worked on ? i believe ME is a way better product!
    but with the way VSL and SSL work together to give u a bigger library when needed. i find myself using VSL more. which sucks cuz of one stupid little feature.. ME has so much more to offer. please help! i really think it would be great to assign any key we want on the keyboard to make ME hide and come back when we want.

thnx again for ur consideration!

Henry
    Hey Henry. Sorry for the delayed reply (I've been out of the office).

This isn't something that we're working on right now - mainly because of the issues that it would cause (I think I explained them in another thread - if not, I can explain them again).
    no i do remember.. im just still hoping for this feature. i couldnt begin begin to tell you how important it is to me. just to be able to see more of the library and not have to move ME around with the mouse... it saves so much time and aggravation

however.. 100 percent sure that this needs to be somewhere on the keyboard close to the space bar (like z,x,c,v,b,n,m) and not a midi mappable feature, i mean im sure others might want it midi capable/mappable. but just using the space bar with vsl. and then bam going into the library to select my next song is really useful. especially with 4 decks going on the rane 68. anyways keep up to date. thank you so much
    has this been suggested before?

for the random clip bank, having pre-set banks? or possibly being able to choose which clips in the bank you want played?

for school gigs, kinda don't want the clips with t&a to pop up....

or if you have a theme night like 80s or halloween, you can create pre-set banks to pull from
    Haven't had that suggested before. Sounds useful. Will have a think about it.
    I am agreeing with the "Text" banks

So, right now, you have txt scrolling, but you want to put something else up, you have to go and type out the new one, but if you want to go back, you have to type it out again

I would like to have a text bank of stuff ready to go. Then you could midi map the banks
    I agree - which is why we added it to MixEmergency 1.5 :)

If you go into the Presets window you can now also assign Text and Image overlay presets (in addition to the Effect and Transition presets added in 1.4).
    Hey Nick. Yesterday i found this. My question is, how do i get the banks filled? I tried all the shortcuts i could yesterday, but could not figure out how to get the banks filled.
    For the text:

1. Set up the text overlay as you would like to save (i.e. with text, position, text effect, etc)
    2. Go to the Text Preset tab on the Preset window
    3. Select one of the slots in the bank (by clicking in the list of available slots)
    4. Push the "Save" button (the little disk image)

This should now set the title of the selected row in the bank to the text in the text overlay.

From here you can trigger the text preset by pushing one of the numbered buttons to the left of the preset list.
    another "bank" request...

this time, for the random transitions.

like for random transitions #1 we could choose from transitions that we like for holding a long mix

for random transitions #2 we could choose from all the SE transitions..

or random transitions #3, all the different grid transitions

basically whatever we choose for each bank.

most of the time i'd like to hold mixes and have the random transition feature pull from that set of transitions. then when i feel like skratching, i can select the other random transition bank and ME will pull from all the different SE transitions or whatever i feel fits better for skratching.
    How about just another "Random Preset" transition that takes presets for the currently selected preset bank?

It's an interesting idea. I've had something similar suggested to me in the past - so it is something that has been on my mind.
    yes, that's pretty much what i want. pretty please =)
  • edited September 2010
    I'll see what I can do.... I make no promises about it making it into 1.6 though.
    How about being able to drop an mp4 into a video slot. Right now you have a text slot, image slot, quartz composition slot. If you had a video slot we would be able to make a logo with an alpha channel and have it playing wherever we want to place the video. This would be really cool beats just having a png file in the corner. I've made a really cool 3d logo spinning with pro animator and would be nice to use in the corner.
    Yeah - I've had a few people suggest that to me. I definitely like the idea....